Write-on technique is widely used and from what I see can be done in a variety of ways.
In “Tribute to the AWESOME summer “ I use a somewhat advanced write-on technique where the letters are redrawn on a shape layer that then acts as a Track Matte.
The Track Matte is then animated using the Trim Paths property, revealing the letters underneath it.
Project of the Day
For this project I chose to reveal text animating the stroke effect applied to masks. Here’s what I did in a nutshell:
- Imported the text from Illustrator into AfterEffects
- Created a bunch of masks by tracing the letters with a Pen tool
- Applied the stroke effect to the layer with masks
- Animated the stroke effect
And here is the final text reveal over one of the photos I took in September with my iPhone.
Resources: Type Animation
- Owen Lowery’s video tutorial “Using stroke effect to draw-on text” from his wonderfully informative and fun class “Creating a Handmade Look in After Effects: 2 Design and Animation”
- Typeface “Mysterious” by Hanoded/David Lerkhoff
Resources: Yoga Practice
Instead of the intended earlier in the day "fiery" class I did a brief sequence for stiff shoulders with Jason Crandell at YogaGlo.
This one is a keeper for short breaks away from the computer.